Sunday, May 25, 2008

Little Monkey

At my last doctor's appointment, the nurse gave me some instructions regarding fetal kick counts. Basically, the point it to monitor the activity level of the baby so as to notice if it drops off which could signal a problem. I remember doing this with Jaden who demonstrated a moderate level of activity, but this time around, I couldn't help but laugh.

The instructions are to start the clock when I wake up and count every time I feel the baby move. If he doesn't move or kick ten times before two hours are up, then I should call the doctor. That might not seem very funny, except for I only need about five minutes to register ten movements. Granted, this is only my second pregnancy, but I don't think it's possible for a baby to move more than this little one does. He will take naps now and then, but by and large, he's moving every minute that he's awake. And when I say moving, I don't mean subtle little gestures. No, I'm talking Tae Bo here. There really is something to the old saying "alive and kicking"!!!

I was hoping for a snuggly baby this time around. Jaden is affectionate, but snuggle time is rare and short-lived. I was hoping for a baby that would love being swaddled and riding in a sling. Jaden did neither. Either way, I'm truly looking forward to meeting this new little guy in a few weeks and learning if his fetal personality is any indication of his newborn personality. I promise to love him regardless (I already do!!).

So, I guess it's appropriate that we've nicknamed the little fellow our "Little Monkey" because he sure does like to squirm and play. Jaden's nickname was "Little Squirt" which turned out to be appropriate for altogether different reasons after he was born. :) Maybe I should be more careful about the nicknames I choose in the future.

1 comment:

The Kings said...

Glad ya'll had a good trip, he looks so much like a man, havent' seen him since he was a boy!