For the second time in my life, I find myself wondering how my newborn son turned into a real little boy so quickly. So, as your 7 month birthday quickly approaches, I figured I should finally sit down and record some things about you as a 6-month-old before your new accomplishments start to take precedence in my memory.
- You are an excellent roller. I'll put you down on a blanket on the floor with some toys, and a few minutes later, you're half-way across the living room. You're perfectly content with this mode of transportation until you get stuck up against the couch, at which time you are not shy about letting me know that you need a little help. I can tell you're going to be much more mobile much earlier than your big brother. We're going to have to figure out a way of keeping you away from Jaden's toys that are not safe enough for you yet. Hmmm. . .
- You're also an excellent jumper and spend quite a bit of time in your jumper. It's a good thing Daddy has it rigged up in the living room rather than in a doorway because you have a lot more room to move.
- You are learning how to sit and doing a very good job of it. You like the new freedom it provides in being able look all around and reach and grab toys that you see laying all around you. You're still a little unpredictable, launching yourself backwards with little or no warning, so I keep a couch or a pillow behind you still. Even still, you're good enough to sit up in a high chair at a restaurant or in the grocery cart, so we moved you out of your car seat carrier and into a convertible car seat. You were just too heavy to carry around in the carrier anymore (see note further down).
- Speaking of grabbing, you LOVE doing it. When I pick you up, you "reward" me with a grab at my face. You particularly love lips and glasses and hair. You have knack for getting a hold of those little hairs on my neck that hurt when pulled. Ponytails are my preferred hairstyle so I can keep it out of your reach as much as possible. I lose enough of it every day as it is without your help. Holding you while sitting at a table is also a challenge. You're quick, too, so I need to be sure to clear a wide area before sitting down.
- You are a happy baby, up until about 5:00. That's when "witching hour" begins. Just as I start trying to cook dinner, you decide you've had just about enough for the day and want to be held. That's hard to do when I'm trying to stir things on the hot stove and get things in and out of the hot oven. To meet your need for an earlier bedtime, we moved dinner time until after you go to sleep. At least I don't have to wrestle a fussy baby while I'm trying to eat. Oh well, you're worth it!
- Going back to the grabbing issue. . .Once you grab something, it goes straight into your mouth for a good chew. I keep thinking you're getting some teeth, but the doctor did not see any at your 6 month check up. He says you're just in an "oral stage". He's got that right. Jaden was, and still is, a sucker by nature. You're my chewer. It's fun to see how your personalities are similar and different!!
- I mentioned your 6 month checkup. Well, you weighed in at 21 pounds and measured 27.5 inches. That's 3 pounds and 1 inch more than Jaden at your age. I think you may have finally slowed down a bit in your growth though, since you are finally on the chart. At the tippiest top of the chart, but on it. I bet as you start to move more and eat more solid food you'll slim down like your brother did.
- Did I mention food? Well, you love it. You've been eating some solids for over a month now, and you're really good at it. You like rice cereal and oatmeal as well as all kinds of fruits and vegetables. You even like Cheerios! You eat twice a day in addition to nursing five times, and the doctor says you're probably ready for a third solid meal with some meat. Yikes!
- I think adding another meal and spreading out your feedings is probably a good idea because you sure do spit up a lot. . .A LOT. The doctor says it may be because of getting over full. Your little tummy can only hold so much at once. It's a good thing your big brother loves to help Mommy by bringing me a rag when you catch me unprepared.
- You sure do love your brother. You watch him all the time and smile so big when he brings you a toy or climbs in your laundry basket with you or rides in the stroller with you. I hope you guys stay best friends for a long time!
- You're a pretty good sleeper. You graduated from three naps to two. Your morning nap is a good hour and a half. You still struggle a little bit with your afternoon nap, but we're getting there. At night, you're a champ, sleeping from about 6:30 or 7:00 until 6:30 or 7:00 the next morning. So, we finally moved you out of the pack-n-play in our room to the big crib up in Jaden's room, correction: Jaden & Riley's room. Jaden sleeps in the big bed now and loves to say "OK Riley" when he hears you fussing in your crib. I can't wait until you guys are sharing a bunk bed. Well, maybe I can. I'm not ready for you to be THAT old yet!.
Hugs,
Mama
1 comment:
I loved this blog entry. Particularly because a great deal of it could have been written by myself ABOUT my lil 6 mo. old. The similarities in just about all aspects are uncanny. In fact, i might just cut/paste your entry and replace Riley's name with "Thom." :-) Great stuff, Brandis.
Post a Comment