Monday, July 14, 2008

One Week to Go?

As of today, I am officially 39 weeks pregnant. For a while now, I've been prepared to go into labor early and resigned that I may not. It's kinda an up-in-the-air place to be. Life continues as normal, except that I don't stray too far from home and I over analyze every ache and pain I experience. At this point, all I can do is wait for God's timing while I wish that He would let me in on the secret of when baby #2 will arrive!! :)

My bags are not technically packed yet, but I do have little piles of things here and there that will need to go to the hospital, and I have a list of other things I will need to gather at the last minute. I've got instructions for Jaden's daily routine written out and several wonderful ladies willing to be on my "call list" for taking care of him when we go to the hospital. Nanna and Grandad are standing by in Dallas and will head down as soon as they get the word. GranDee will be flying in on the 28th to stay for two weeks. I don't have the car seat in the truck yet or the swing re-assembled, but those are things Peter can do when he comes home to play with Jaden while I'm in the hospital. We're busily trying to clear out a lot of junk from the office so that we can fit an air mattress in there for company.

However, despite the things that aren't done yet, I'm READY. I want to meet this new little boy and welcome him into our family. I'm excited for Jaden to get to know his little brother instead of thinking of him as a lump inside Mommy's tummy.

So, what's the plan? Well, my next appointment is this Friday. I'll do a biophysical profile before I see the doctor. Essentially, that means I'll have a quick ultrasound to measure the size of the baby then get hooked up to a monitor to track the baby's heartrate and movements and any contractions I may be having. This is to assess whether or not he's in any distress. If not, we continue to wait. If necessary, I'll have another biophysical at my following appointment when I'll be 40 1/2 weeks. If all is well, we'll wait a few more days. If baby has not arrived on his own by 7/28, we'll most likely have to schedule a c-section for 7/29. There's a slight chance that my doctor would induce me instead of skipping straight to the c-section, but my chances of having a successful VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) are much greater if I go into labor on my own.

How can you pray? First and foremost, pray for the continued healthy development of our little bundle of joy. Pray that he will arrive on his own, without any intervention from the doctor. Pray for a smooth and uncomplicated delivery and a quick recovery. Pray that I will have peace of mind while I wait for God's timing. Pray that all the little details of leaving a toddler at home while we go to the hospital work out smoothly. Pray for Jaden to adjust well to the changes that are coming his way. Pray for safe travels for the family that will be coming to visit.

Rest assured, we will send out notice when our little boy arrives, along with a plethora of pictures. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE in my prayers. I know you're so excited and anxious for things to happen and especially the way you'd like for them to. I do pray that you will have a successful VBAC - I know how important that is to you and I can completely understand why. You know that I really hate to say this and really hate to follow it myself, but God's ways and timing are always better for us than our plans, even though we may not understand the reasons. So I also pray for peace and your ability to let go if it becomes necessary if things don't go the way you would like them to.

Any time I find myself in this type of situation I always think of this story that went around on email for a while. The short version.. 2 angels stayed at the home of a wonderful but poor couple who gave openly of everything they had, which wasn't much. They only had 1 cow to depend on for milk and in the morning the cow was dead. The younger angel asked the older angel "why?", he couldn't understand it! And the older angel said that the angel of death had come for the wife and he gave him the cow instead.

Love you and am praying for you and am standing by in case you need me! :o)

The Kac's said...

Praying for you guys...
Count the Kac's in too for being "on call" should you need anything. We live really close.

Unknown said...

I'm sure as you wrote this blog you were "talking truth to yourself" and that is a GOOD THING - you were "playing God's tape A" which of course is the BEST:)!!! - It goes without saying that you are MUCH in my thoughts and prayers each of these waiting days - but I would add that these are precious days in themselves and encourage you to embrace them intentionally (as I see you doing) - NOTHING is wasted in God's economy and we need to strive to avoid wasting as well (though that seems to be our sinful, fallen nature's default mode) -

Some day both your boys will enjoy reading about these days of anticipation - KEEP WRITING!!!

Hugs ~ Mommis

The Kings said...

I think God's time is July 26th, ha ha ha. Sorry Brandis but it sure would be fun for him to be born on my birthday:) Ya'll are all in our prayers and Matt is looking at riddle #3 as we speak.