So, did I take him to the barber? No. I think that will be another fun milestone for when he's a little older and he and Daddy can go get their hair cut together. Since his hair is not too long or too thick, I figured I was safe doing it myself. I had been told to put him in his highchair and give him a lollipop to distract him. I meant to buy some lollipops at the store last time I was there, but I forgot (pregnant!). I wanted to get the job done before Easter, so I substituted Cheerios and juice for the lollipop and plunged ahead.
First I gathered my supplies. I got a squirt bottle and washcloth to help keep the hair damp while I worked. I got a paper plate to gather the hair. This is his first haircut, remember, so I had to save the hair for his baby book. I'm sure he'll want to show it off to his friends when he's 15. I found a small pair of scissors that were sharp but easy to maneuver. I got out a big bib and the aforementioned Cheerios and juice. Then I finally was ready for the kid.
When I first put him in his highchair, he thought he was just getting a snack. When I squirted him with water, however, he figured out something was up. I started out by simply combing through the damp hair to get a feel for it and figure out a game plan. He didn't mind that so much. Then I started cutting and the squirming began. I got the top done first, then the sides and back, then finally the edges.
The whole process took about 10 minutes, at the end of which I was left with a little baggy of hair and a little boy looking more like a little boy than he had 10 minutes before. All in all, I must say that I did a pretty good job. His bangs aren't quite even due to a last-second squirm, but I think you'd only notice if you were looking for it. Besides, it just adds to his charming good looks.
Here's a picture of "before". . .
. . . and "during". . .
. . . and "after".
So, even though I always knew Jaden would not stay a baby forever, part of me already misses the time that has gone by. The other part of me enjoys watching him grow and flourish and looks forward to each new moment of the rest of his life while I treasure each one that's already passed. It's one of those endless paradoxes or "railroad tracks" as my Mom would call it. I guess I'll just have to have another baby so I can do it all over again :)
3 comments:
Jaden looks so cute with his new haircut (although, I have to admit that the pre-haircut mohawk is pretty cute, too!).
I wouldn't even know how to cut a boy's hair. Good job!
He's such a little man now! Love the carrot nose too, so cute.
Post a Comment